Thursday, March 28, 2013

Homemade Granola Bars

Everyone needs a fast snack from time to time and granola bars are a quick, easy, yummy solution. The problem is, many store bought options are really just candy bars in disguise. So, I've been wanting to try making some and someone emailed me a recipe out of Shape Magazine so I decided to try it. I modified the original recipe a bit to my liking, and I think it's a good base for trying different flavors and additions. Here's my modified version of the recipe:

1 cup quick oats
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup Grape Nuts cereal
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 beaten egg
1/3 cup natural unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup honey
2 tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (or chopped dark chocolate bar)

Combine oats through ginger in a large bowl. Whisk together egg, applesauce, honey, and oil. Pour into oat mixture and stir until combined. Stir in nuts, seeds, and chocolate. Pour into 8x8 pan lined with foil and sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake at 325 for 30-35 minutes, until edges start to brown. Cool on a rack then lift bars out of pan with foil and cut into bars.

I baked mine for 30 minutes and will probably leave them in a few minutes longer next time as I like mine a little more brown around the edges. I'd like to try adding peanut butter to the recipe as well as use different types of nuts to change the flavor. If you like dried fruit, that would also be a great addition!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment