Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I Love Smoothies!

Pictured below was my breakfast this morning: a smoothie made with spring greens, frozen fruit (mango, pineapple, strawberry, blueberry), Greek yogurt, and unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It felt great to start the day with a glass full of nutrition! And if I'm totally honest, my nutrition has been seriously lacking for the past week. More specifically, I've been on a major sugar kick and need to be stopped! So I made the decision to start my day with this yummy and healthy smoothie to get me going on the right track for the day. For me, once I get started eating sweets, it is so hard to stop. I just keep craving more, and if I eat more, the cravings get worse! On the flip side, once I'm able to get out of the sugar death spiral, the cravings diminish and I remember how good I feel when I'm eating well. I've read and seen a lot of research and commentary regarding sugar consumption lately, and the resounding message is that sugar is not only an addictive substance, it is also a major contributor to illnesses such as diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and more. While I'm not an alarmist or extremist, the combination of this knowledge and how I feel when I'm consuming a lot of refined sugar is reason enough for me to put a big effort toward minimizing my consumption. So what do smoothies have to do with this? For me, they are a delicious way to get a lot of nutrients in one meal and also satisfy my sweet tooth with fresh or frozen fruit. And, I can put whatever I like in. My typical smoothie has about a half cup of Greek yogurt, a big handful of whatever greens I have on hand (spinach and kale are faves), about half a cup of almond milk, and whatever kind of fruit I have (I've been buying huge bags of frozen fruit from Sam's Club for this purpose). Surely there are many additional additives to try such as chia or flax seeds, nuts, and different veggies, but I don't have a super powerful blender, so I keep to items I know will get blended well. Now that I've had my smoothie for today, I'm going to keep the goodness going with leftover chicken pot pie for lunch (see recipe in previous post), Shakeology for a snack, and pork tenderloin with roasted veggies for dinner. If I really feel the need for a little treat after dinner, I'll have a square of dark chocolate. Yay for healthy food!

No comments:

Post a Comment