Monday, March 11, 2013

Still Sore!

I took the opportunity to do my own workout at the gym Saturday morning (rather than teaching or take a class) and 2 days later, I am still sore! I take it as a sign that I succeeded at working my body differently from what it's used to and that I should do the exercises I did again so I can get stronger. As a fitness instructor, it is easy to get in the mindset that you shouldn't or don't need to do your workouts outside of the classes you teach. That's fine if you don't have new fitness goals and your schedule of classes is very well rounded (cardio, strength, flexibility). My schedule is somewhat balanced, but I could definitely stand to incorporate more strength training, so that's what I've been working on. A couple of goals: strength train 2-3 times per week, work toward being able to do unassisted pull-ups, explore new yoga poses and styles.

Here's a quick rundown of Saturday's workout:
30 minutes of treadmill intervals (2 min run/ 1 min walk)
Single leg deadlifts w/ 20 lb dumbbell (will increase weight next time)
Single arm rows w/ 20 lb dumbbell
Shoulder to shoulder presses w/ 20 lb dumbbell
Squat & pull with purple resistance band
Assisted pull-ups (feet on box) 5 reps each w/ 2 different grips
Wide and tricep push-ups with feet on Bosu
Plank knee pulls with feet on Bosu
Various stretches and rolling (self myofascial release)

I also practiced a few yoga poses and took my daily photo for the Mad About Yoga challenge I'm doing on Instagram.

My plan is to repeat many of these same exercises (might alter it a little) this week on Tuesday and Friday in addition to the 5 classes I teach. Hopefully it won't be long before I can increase weight on more exercises and need less assistance for the pull-ups. Then I'll start working on some new challenging exercises!

No comments:

Post a Comment