Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Fueling My Day

Nutrition is important on all days, but especially on days like today when I teach 2 intense PiYo classes. If I don't eat well, but energy lags and getting through the second class is tough. I know my participants expect a great, sweaty workout, so I need to be on top of my game to deliver. I have found that if I start the day with a hearty meal and continue with clean eats throughout the day, I have plenty of energy to push myself hard in both classes. Here's my meal plan for today:

Breakfast: peanut butter baked oatmeal with a handful of dark chocolate chips and strawberries
To make 2 servings:
Mash 1/2 banana in a medium bowl. Add 3-4 tbsp natural peanut butter and 2-3 tbsp honey. Stir to combine. Add 1 cup quick oats to banana mixture and stir to combine. Add 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice) and stir. Divide mixture between 2 ramekins sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes (longer for crustier edges).

Snack: pear + handful sunflower kernels + string cheese

Lunch: Chocolate Shakeology blended with ice, unsweetened almond milk, and 1 tbsp peanut butter

Snack: Green smoothie (Greek yogurt, baby kale, frozen mango and pineapple, water)

Dinner: Whole grain pasta with tomato sauce, steamed broccoli

Dessert: a couple bites of dark chocolate

I also make an effort to drink plenty of water each day. Rather than count calories, I prefer to listen to my body and adjust my intake based on how I feel. If I'm really hungry/tired/sluggish, I'll add another healthy snack or eat a bigger portion at one meal. If I'm eating a variety of healthy foods, I find its not necessary to track closely (I do track every once in awhile for a week or two just to get a more accurate picture of how well I'm doing at getting all the needed nutrients in).

There ya have it! A little glimpse into my eating habits :)




No comments:

Post a Comment